Friday, October 07, 2011

Struggling Well??

I love the concept of struggling well. It's something we talk about often at my church and I feel it perfectly describes my journey as a Christian. One thing that infuriates me is when I hear promises of an easy, wonderful, worry free life once you become a Christian. That is FALSE. Being a Christian makes things much, much harder. Mainly because it calls you to do things you do not want to do all of the time. When I'm in an argument with my mother I do not want to be patient, kind, slow to speak  or slow to anger. I want to yell and fight and prove my point. Alas, I'm a Christian, so I must put aside my selfish desires and stop, listen, and love. Poop.

Aside from the little things like disagreements, life will be hard. We will hurt physically and emotionally. We will hurt others. We will be disappointed and we will constantly disappoint others. It's a struggle everyday to live into our calling. However, each day I pray that I struggle well. To quote my church I want to "enjoy the highs and never let the lows keep me from pointing towards Jesus." Wow, that sounds super churchy. What I mean is that I want to be real and acknowledge life is sometimes hard and there are times when I feel broken and hurt. However in those times, I still want to be a light for Christ in the world. I want to handle the lows in a way that shows that I believe that all things work for the good of those who love the Lord. I no longer want to be consumed by the bad; I must always remember the good. 

We live in a broken world and because of this we will struggle. As long as I can struggle well, I think I'll be okay. 

Star 

No comments: